Hair removal has been a bane to women’s existence for a long time now. If you’re a teenager or older, you would’ve surely considered all means to get rid of the excessive hair growth on your body. Some of you would’ve certainly heard of Epilation or would’ve even tried it out. For those of you who haven’t, an Epilator is an electronic device that essentially gets hold of multiple hairs and removes them by plucking them out. It is like multiple tweezers tweezing off your hair simultaneously. There are various types of epilators available on the market such as the spring type, rotating disc type, etc. but they all essentially perform the same function.
Just like waxing, epilation also involves pulling out of hair from the body and hence can be slightly painful depending on person to person. A lot of times, we make last minute plans and have to restrict ourselves from wearing that gorgeous skirt just because we have some hair on our legs. Waxing requires a parlour appointment and a professional to do it. It can be done at home as well but it tends to be quite taxing and time consuming. Shaving is an option too but the hair comes back so soon that in some cases a shave done in the morning doesn’t even last till the night.
An Epilator on the other hand, can be used last minute at home, doesn’t require help from another person and lasts anywhere between 4-8 weeks depending on the person’s hair growth cycle. Epilators can be plug in or even battery operated which makes them great for travel. Though slightly pricey, they are definitely worth every penny because if handled with care, they are just a one-time investment. If you’re looking to get your hands on an epilator, here are our picks for the best epilators of 2018.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What Is An Epilator and How Does It Work?
- 2 Best Epilator Reviews 2018
- 2.1 1. Braun Silk Epil 9 9-579 – [BEST EPILATOR 2018]
- 2.2 2. Braun SE7561 Silk Epil 7 – [Best Selling Epilator on Amazon]
- 2.3 3. Emjoi AP-18 Emagine
- 2.4 4. Philips HP6574/50 Satin – [Best Cheap Epilator]
- 2.5 5. Panasonic ES-ED90-P [Best Epilator For Sensitive Skin]
- 2.6 6. Emjoi Epi Slim
- 2.7 7. Remington EP7030
- 3 Epilator Buying Guide – How to Choose the Best Epilator For Public Hair
- 4 Benefits of Using An Epilator
What Is An Epilator and How Does It Work?
An epilator is an electrical device which is used for removing unwanted hair form the body. It is a quick and easy way of getting rid of hair for longer time durations. It removes hair from the follicles just like waxing does, but unlike waxing, the process of epilation doesn’t remove the any skin cells from the epidermis.
Source: But First, Coffee
Epilators essentially pluck off individual hair from the skin just like a tweezer would. It uses a slightly more advanced technology than a tweezer and gets rid of multiple hair in a single stroke. It is almost as painful as waxing would be but it doesn’t require the application of any wax, cream or gel prior to usage. It can be used over arms, legs, underarms. There are special tweezers available that can even be used over the bikini area or to remove facial hair. These can be quite convenient since it helps you remove body hair at any time without the help of a professional.
They can be corded or cordless. Cordless ones are offcourse more travel friendly and can also be used in the shower so give the choice of both wet and dry application. Depending on how much money you are willing to spend, epilators are available in all price ranges starting from about $30. They are more of an investment since once purchased, they do not require much maintenance and can be used over and over again.
Best Epilator Reviews 2018
|Braun Silk Epil 9 9-579||Best for removing very short hairs|
|Braun SE7561 Silk Epil 7||Suitable for both thin & thick body hairs|
|Emjoi AP-18 Emagine||Works best on medium length hairs|
|Philips HP6574/50 Satin||Best used for thicker hairs|
|Panasonic ES-ED90-P||Hypo-allergenic & Perfect for |
|Emjoi Epi Slim||Best suited for delicate areas such as underarms, |
face and bikini line
|Remington EP7030||Comes with a massaging cap with aloe vera |
for soothing skin
1. Braun Silk Epil 9 9-579 – [BEST EPILATOR 2018]
The top on our list is Braun’s very recent launch, the Silk Epil 9.
- The very first thing you notice about this epilator is the fact that it has a 40% wider head than most regular epilators, which enables the user to remove a lot more hair in one stroke.
- With around 40 tweezer heads, it makes the entire process much faster and more efficient. It has an ergonomical design which is easy get a grip of and glides along the contours of your body to make epilation more comfortable.
- The Epil 9 functions on the Micro Grip technology, which means it removes the tiniest hair from your body (0.2mm precisely). So now you don’t have to wait longer for the hair to grow back before you can take it out.
- The product is extremely travel friendly since it is cordless and can be used both wet and dry. A single charge lets you use the epilator for upto 40 minutes straight. It comes with two speed modes and a built in light that helps you see the hair better while epilating.
2. Braun SE7561 Silk Epil 7 – [Best Selling Epilator on Amazon]
Next up is another from Braun, The Silk Epil 7.
- Much like the Epil 7, this one also comes with built in 40 tweezer heads to give you a quick and easy epilation experience. It has a pivoting head which lets you move it around along the curves of your body and easily epilate tricky places such as your knees and elbows.
- This works on the close grip technology, hence giving you a super close and smooth epilation being able to remove hair as short as 0.5mm.
- It’s a cordless device and a single charge gets it ready for upto 40 minutes of usage. It can be used both wet and dry and comes with a built in light to let you see the hair clearly while epilating. It has 2 speed modes to let you choose the intensity with which you want to epilate.
From the brand Emoji comes our next choice that is the Emoji AP-18.
- Unlike the Braun ones, this epilator comes with 72 tweezer heads to make your epilation as quick and smooth as possible. It’s curved shape and ergonomic design makes it really easy to epilate the hard to reach places.
- Emoji’s patented Glide technology removes hair swiftly and smoothly without irritating the skin. The silver ion technology ensure the tweezer heads are safe from bacteria. Furthermore, it has staggered dual opposed heads that gently stretch the skin while epilating so that the hair comes off efficiently.
- It is a corded epilator and hence not feasible for wet application or the best choice for travelling. It comes with 2 speed settings.
4. Philips HP6574/50 Satin – [Best Cheap Epilator]
This next epilator is a great option for people who have always wanted to try out epilation but have not been able to get around to doing it because epilators just feel downright complicated.
- This one is from Philips and is an extremely lightweight and compact device. Its shape and size makes it perfect to hold and fits the palm just right.
- It has 21 tweezers which is ideal for people who are just starting out and don’t want anything too speedy. It gives a close epilation, letting you remove hair as short as 0.5mm.
- It’s corded and hence can only be put to dry application. Comes with 2 speed modes to allow you choose the speed with which you want to epilate.
5. Panasonic ES-ED90-P [Best Epilator For Sensitive Skin]
The Panasonic ES is definitely one of the most versatile epilators you will find in the market.
- With its 48 tweezing heads, it removes more hair in a single motion than most other epilators, hence making the process time efficient. It has a pivoting head which makes it easy to move around your body and get rid of hair.
- It has a hypo allergenic blade and a wide dual disc head that is perfect for sensitive skin and gentle epilation. For beginners who find the 48 tweezing heads quite intimidating, it comes with a gentle cap that allows them to cover half the blades for a slower epilation.
- It is cordless and can be used both wet and dry. It can also be easily cleaned by just keeping the head under running water. It also has a built in LED light to ensure that you don’t miss out on any hair while epilating.
Just by the first look of it, the Emoji Epi Slim looks like an extremely travel friendly product.
- As the name suggests, it is sleek and compact device and fits perfectly in your palm, giving you a nice grip of it. With just 9 tweezer heads it is designed especially for the delicate areas such as underarms, face and bikini line. It can even be used for touch ups on your arms and legs.
- Like most Emoji epilators, it has a powerful motor that plucks here from the roots. To new comers, it might seem a like intimidating since it’s slightly loud for an epilator that size. For optimal results, it is best used in small circular motions around your face or other sensitive areas.
- It is battery operated and runs on 2AA batteries. Since it is made for delicate areas, it is best that you exfoliate your skin before using this epilator so that hair comes off easily in a single stroke and you don’t not have to go through the same area over and over again.
- It is ideal for travelling and can be carried around in your handbag quite easily.
Lastly we have an epilator from Remington that is an ideal option if you’re looking for an epilator that can be used both on your body as well as your face.
- The epilator seems a little bulky to look at but is not very heavy and also has an anti slip grip attached to it, which gives it a great hold.
- It has 40 tweezer heads which is ideal for removing you body hear quickly and precisely. It even comes with precision cap which enable you to remove hair from more sensitive areas such as your face hence making it a multipurpose epilator.
- It has a rotating head to ensure every single hair is removed. It even comes with a massaging cap infused with aloe vera gel to give your skin that smooth and soft finish after epilation.
- It is cordless and rechargeable. A single full charge lasts upto 40 minutes. It can be used wet or dry and it even has a light to let you see the fine hair so you can properly remove them. It has 2 speed setting to choose from, depending on whether you are removing coarse or fine hair.
Epilator Buying Guide – How to Choose the Best Epilator For Public Hair
No. of Tweezers
An epilator is essentially a collection of tweezers plucking out hair from the root. The number of tweezers on an epilator is directly proportional to the speed with which it eliminates hair. More the number of tweezers, faster the process of epilation.
There is a range of epilators available with tweezers starting from 20 going upto 72. As the number keeps increasing, the price range also gets higher. Contrary to popular belief, the pain doesn’t vary according to the number of tweezers. If anything, getting hair out quickly makes sure the procedure is finished in less time so you do not have to handle the pain for long.
Wet or Dry Application
Epilators are of two types, corded and cordless. The corded ones come with a cable attached and need to be plugged in to a power source while using. They can only be used dry. The cordless ones however, can be used both wet and dry since they are not plugged in anywhere and are safe to use in the shower.
Though both corded and cordless epilators do the job of removing hair from the root, many people prefer using an epilator while showering since they find wet epilation slightly more comfortable and less harsh on the skin. A cordless epilator is also handier and travel friendly.
Area of Epilation
It is important to know that an epilator that is meant for arms and legs won’t be suitable for using on areas such as underarms or bikini area. So while choosing an epilator, always keep in mind the area you require it for. For delicate areas, you would require something with lesser tweezers and a smaller head while for using on arms and legs, it would be best to use a much larger head with more number of tweezers to make the process quicker and more convenient.
Apart from the basic epilator head, there are other specifications available in an epilator that distinguish it from just any cheap quality one.
- First comes the speed settings. While some epilators just come with an on or off mode, there are also epilators available with speed settings. Generally there are two- slow and fast. Try to opt for an epilator that gives you the option of choosing a speed setting. It is really beneficial to select a speed mode depending on the hair growth you have and the area you are epilating.
- Next comes the lighting. There are many different epilator models available in the market today that have LED light on them. The LED light is not only great for using when the lighting in you room isn’t bright enough but also helps to see the specific area more clearly. Many a times, we tend to miss a little patch of hair while epilation, so an LED light is always beneficial.
- Last are the epilator accessories. If you’re willing to invest a slightly pricier epilator, go for one that comes with multiples accessories such as cleaning bush, travel pouch, etc. There are also some attachments available such as a roating head that lets you do a pedicure at home. These attachments can easily be replaced by the epilator head and thus lets you use the epilator in more than just one way.