Professional hair removal is expensive. And unless you are spending tons of money for laser removal, it can also be repetitive and tedious. It is no surprise, then, that many women these days are turning towards laser hair removal at home. And thankfully, there are many options.
Developed by Spectrum Bands and compliant with the regulations set up by the FDA, Remington iLight Pro has been marketed as one of the safest and most reliable hair removal devices for use at home. But does it really do all that it claims to? Let’s find out!
What is Remington iLight Pro?
Remington iLight Pro is a hair removal device that uses IPL technology. IPL stands for Intense Pulsating light. The device emits intense pulses of light on the skin, which disrupts the growth of hair follicles. Over time, it results in the reduction of hair growth, and also causes the hair to be lighter and weaker. All of this makes hair removal a breezy process.
What are the different models to choose from?
Remington iLight Pro comes in 3 models:
1. Remington iLight Ultra
Flashes: 65,000 per bulb
Where to use: Women can use this device on face as well as body. Men can use it only below the neck.
Area covered per flash: 3 square cm
Lamp material: Quartz
Colour of the device: Teal
Read In-depth review of Remington iLIGHT Ultra Review
2. Remington iLight Pro Plus Quartz
Flashes: 30,000 per bulb
Where to use: On body only, not on the face – for both men and women.
Area covered per flash: 2 square cm
Lamp material: Quartz
Colour of the device: Purple
3. Remington iLight Pro
Flashes: 15,000 per bulb
Where to use: on body only, not on the face – for both men and women.
Area covered per flash: 2 square cm
Lamp material: Glass
Colour of the device: Copper
What do these differences mean?
1. Flashes per bulb:
In short, this means that the more the number of flashes per bulb, the longer the bulb will last before it needs to be replaced. For instance, the iLight Ultra comes with 65,000 flashes, with which it can cover 195,000 square centimeters before it needs to be replaced. This means that you will have 50 full body sessions, and you can use the iLight for 3 full years. The other two devices have fewer flashes, and will last less than 3 years.
Read full review of Remington iLight Ultra.
Only the iLight Ultra can be used for facial hair, and even then, it is just for females. This is because the facial hair in men is too coarse to be removed by IPL. All 3 devices can be used on the rest of the body besides the face.
3. Bulb size:
Bulb size affects the treatment area. iLight Pro has a treatment area size of 2 square centimeter, while the Ultra can cover 3 square centimeter at once. This means that the latter is faster.
4. Bulb Material:
Both the Pro and Pro Plus have quartz bulbs, which last longer than glass bulbs. Quartz can endure a large number of flashes without being damaged.
Portability is the one biggest drawback of all of these devices. If you are looking for a portable device that you can carry with you on your travels, this is not the one for you. Remington devices are for hair removal at home. Although they are immovable, they are too bulky to be carrying around.
The one advantage of having a bulky device is that it doesn’t need to be recharged. Unlike something portable, the Remington devices just need to be plugged in and you are good to go. No more waiting for the juice to fill in.
Having said that, the devices do have a long wire. The 1.7-meter cord is thick and does not tangle, but it can get in the way, especially if you are used to epilating and using lighter devices.
3. Intensity Levels and Modes
There are two modes in the Remington devices:
1. Single Flash: if you want to take your time using the device, use this mode. It is ideal for when you are targeting small areas, like the upper lips, chin, bikini areas etc.
2. Multi flash: if you are working on larger areas, like legs, use this mode. The bulb flashes every 2 seconds, so you don’t have to press the button again and again. Simply move the device to the next spot before the bulb flashes.
Additionally, the device has 5 levels of intensity you can choose from. You should start off with the lowest one, and then flash your skin in at least two places. If it feels comfortable, increase the intensity, and stop when you feel any pain. Wait a day to see if there is any negative reaction. If not, you can use the device at that intensity.
4. Flash Rate
Although the multi flash mode is quick, it has a major drawback – it makes the device overheat. Sustained use of IPL makes the device get quite hot, and then you have to let it cool down. If you are only going to do short sessions of about 30 minutes, this should not be a problem, but if you are going to use the device for longer, it is recommended to give it a few minutes to cool down.
The one thing Remington has nailed is the design of these devices. The equipment is designed perfectly to be used for long periods of time without any discomfort or pain in the wrist. It is a completely comfortable and ergonomically crafted device.
- FDA Clearance – This is perhaps the biggest selling point of this device. Indeed, it is the first one in this category to get a clearance from the FDA for customer use, making it a pioneering hair removal device.
- Spot treatment size is large – Compared to Laser treatment devices, Remington iLight Pro can go over a substantially larger area of skin in a short amount of time. For instance, the Ultra device only uses 10-12 pulses of light to cover the entire underarm area, whereas other laser devices sometimes need up to 100 pulses. The result is that the iLight will save you quite a lot of time in the long run.
- Easy to use – even on the face – Most laser removal devices do not come with attachments that can be used on the face. But the Remington iLight can easily remove unwanted hair on your cheeks, upper lips, neck, and chin. The device has an ergonomic design which makes it easy to use everywhere.
- Less painful – Pain is an essential part of removing hair – no matter what process you use. Every woman knows this. But Remington iLight is relatively less painful.
- The quartz bulb lasts longer – Many IPL technology devices use glass bulbs – which are prone to burning out easily. iLight uses a quartz bulb which are sturdier and long lasting.
- The cartridge can be replaced – If your iLight runs out of pulses, all you have to do is replace the cartridge. And because it comes with a pre-charged cartridge, you don’t have to worry about charging it just before using.
- Warranty – Remington iLight Pro comes with 3 years of warranty.
- Compatible with multiple skin types – The Remington iLight Pro is compatible with all types of skin, including sensitive, oily and dry.
- The cord is a bit bulky and gets in the way when using it.
- The device is a bit expensive.
- The laser base of the device emits a lot of heat.
- The device is a bit bulky. It is difficult to travel with, as it can make your luggage quite heavy.
- For people who have thick and coarse hair, the results can be a bit slow. You may have to use the device 4 or 5 times before you see any changes.
1. Will the device work for me?
It should be noted that IPL, although a very successful technology for hair removal, does not work on darker skin tones and tattoos. In fact, it may even be dangerous to use in such cases. This is because darker skin absorbs more light than lighter colored skin. This can result in burning of the skin.
Fortunately, Remington thought of all this. There is a skin tone sensor at the base of the device where you can check if you skin is compatible with it. This is a safety measure, and the device will not power up until you do this.
It should be noted that the skin tone sensor is at the base of the device, not the handheld. It also does not set the intensity level. You will have to check the most comfortable intensity level for yourself.
As for using the device with blonde hair, you will have to use it with the highest intensity. Please beware that the results may be delayed, or it might not work at all. You also cannot use the device on grey hair. It is more suited for people who have darker hair.
Read: IPL v/s Laser Hair Removal
2. How do I use it?
It is recommended to read the instruction manual before you use the device.
Here are some tips on how to get started:
- First, clean, shave and dry the patch of skin where you want to use it.
- Next, place your skin over the skin tone sensor. Activate the device if your skin is compatible.
- Now place the handheld device against the patch of skin. Listen for the beep, then press the flash button. As the bulb flashes, you will feel some warmth.
- Repeat until you have covered the entire area where you need to remove hair.
- You should not go over the same spot more than once in one session.
3. How long until I see results?
According to Remington, with the Ultra device, you will see results within 3 months. Since it is the most powerful of all three models, it is also the quickest to reveal tangible results. With the other two devices, you may have to wait until 6 months to see any changes.
It should also be noted that the instruction manual states that you should use the device 6-12 weekly sessions to get the best results.
4. Is the device safe?
The IPL technology used in this device has been researched extensively, and the device has even been approved for home use by the FDA. In fact, the device is quite similar to the kind of equipment that is used by professional dermatologists.
Hence, it is safe to say that the device is perfectly safe for use at home. However, you do need to follow some safety instructions, like wearing protective glasses when using it so that you don’t look directly at the flashes. Although the manual states that you do not need glasses to use the device, it is better to be safe than sorry, so we do recommend using them.
As far as at-home hair removal technology is concerned, Remington iLight Pro offers the best possible options in the market right now. The devices are a bit expensive, but think of them as an investment – as you are guaranteed to save professional hair removal services over time. With consistent use and patience, you are sure to see the results. Also, don’t forget to sign up for the warranty 28 days after you buy the device. You can only do this online!